Make the most of your day with these mindful break ideas!
Updated: Jun 1, 2021
Have you noticed that the busier we are, the lesser time we make for ourselves during the day. Kind of a no-brainer, right?
But if you ask any productivity expert, they will tell you that taking regular breaks during the day is not only good for your mental health, but is essential for you to be meaningfully productive.
Often, a break during the workday translates to watching a youtube video, browsing the social media feed, or reading a news article. While these can be entertaining, they dont give your brain the rest and reboot it needs. Plus browsing mindlessly exposes us to myriad of content that can provoke emotions like anxiety, FOMO, sadness, and loneliness.
So, here are some ideas to take a mindful mini breaks during your day. These ideas can work with as little as 5 minutes, and definitely don't need more than 15 minutes. It's good to take a short break for every couple of hours of work.
Would you write in the comments and let me know which one you liked best? Which one will you try first? I would love to hear from you.
Ideas to incorporate mindful mini breaks in your day
1. Breath awareness: Turn off the screen / turn away from the screen, close your eyes and focus on your breath. Without changing the breath, just become aware of your breath. Stay with it for a few minutes even if your mind wanders. You could also count your breaths. Start from 25 and count back. Once you reach 1, start again if needed. If you lose count, start from 25 again. Do for as long as comfortable.
2. Vigorous exercise: Dance, do a few rounds of sun salutations, or jog around the block. Exercise has the benefit to clear brain fog and revive your energy.
3. Connect with nature: If you are in a sedentary mood, look away from your screen and stare out the window. What do you see? Sky, trees, maybe a bird. Just be with the scenery and let your mind wander. Better still, step outside and look at the sky, trees, houses... whatever your view affords. It will help your brain clear and refocus again.
4. Mindful walking: Step away from your desk and walk around the room (or porch / backyard) mindfully. Notice the transfer of weight from one leg to another, feel the pressure on your sole as you place the foot on the ground, and movement of the hip, knee and leg. Take one step, and then next. And with your mind focused on your steps, walk for a few minutes.
5. Laugh: Call a friend or family member and laugh. Instead of sharing grim news, share something funny and laugh. Laughter invigorates the heart and lungs, and awakens the body and mind. And also puts us in a better mood.
6. Meditate: If you have 15-20 minutes, there is nothing better than meditation. Close your eyes, sit comfortably and focus on your breath and then let go. Sit for as long as you can.
Use these ideas to take mindful breaks in your day, and let your brain revive and reboot.
Make a wonderful day!